Wednesday, October 22, 2008

It must be my Birthday!

Yeah, yeah, I'm about to eat some crow...Go figure that right after I post about how I'm not a fan of birthdays, I have to go and have the best one of my life. I suppose it all started last Wednesday morning, when my friend Sarah invited me over to eat breakfast at her place. She fixed me pancakes and sausage, which her roommate and her roommate's boyfriend promptly ate most of it, but it was really nice to see her again. Then I went to work, which was unavoidable, and afterwards hung out with my friend Carrie. I worked Thursday morning too, but I slept in about two hours so I went in at 8 instead of 6. I felt it was deserved! Right after work I headed down to that pit of self righteousness and judgement otherwise known as Provo to hang out with my sister. She took me to the Brick Oven for pizza, but I don't know which was better, the food, or the fact that she didn't know how to pay for the check. So much for feminine Liberalism and self independence. I guess you've been on a few too many dates my dear sister. But we had a great talk, and enjoyed each other's company.

Most of you know that I'm a huge pro any team that plays byu fan... Well ever since i found out that TCU was playing byu (and no, I'll never capitalize that) on my birthday, I've been hoping that they'd lose. AND THEY DID!!!! Like 32-7. BLOW OUT! My friend Alecia and her roommates were so upset that they turned off the TV and refused to even hear about what was going on, at the start of the 2nd quarter! There I was, willing to watch the most hated team play football on my birthday, and they wouldn't even let me! I'm still really excited that they lost. Their team must have a lot of questions after coming apart that badly, but I have only one. I wonder what their new slogan will be since "quest for perfection" is down the drain! To cap it all off I got some Cold Stone ice cream too.
Friday was a continuation of my birthday, since it was actually on Thursday, but since my friend Josh turned 23 on Monday, we decided to combine birthdays and have a party on Friday. I'll be honest, I don't really like parties, or large social events where I'm required to interact on a large scale, even more so when half of it's supposedly centered on me, so I was less than excited. My dear friend Julie fixed me breakfast, which was amazing, I was so full. She gave me, as a gag gift, an old Clay Aiken calendar. Well I didn't want Jason to feel left out, so I put it on his bed, and then went off with Diana for the afternoon. She took me to lunch, and we spent a good part of the day in the park just talking and enjoying each other's company. It was good to talk to her and catch up since she's so far away in Logan for the school year. When i came home, i found that Jason had taken the calendar, cut out all of the pictures, and decided to have a Clay Aiken themed party!
There were pictures of Clay all over the living room, and Jason had picked all of the gay, or questionable themed music from his computer (he has quite a bit) and made quite the play list. I have to say that I was scared, but I loved it at the same time. Only in that it was probably the funniest thing I've ever seen. Soon, alot of my good friends showed up and we talked, played games, ate food, and listened to music (we changed the playlist pretty quickly) till about 2am. It was really nice in that I got to see my sister Laura again, even if I had to take her home at 10 so she could take the GRE practice test in the morning.
Saturday morning I slept in, studied for the mid-terms I had on Monday. That afternoon I hung out with Diana again, and tried to find her a dress for church on Sunday, but ended up getting shoes instead. i managed to pick up a few pairs of jeans, since mine all had holes in them. I should be good for a few more years. Then we went to a Real Salt Lake game, which they won in a spectacular fashion to help get them into the play-offs. They're not there yet, but winning 3-1 sure helps! Sunday I went to church, happy in the fact that all my sports teams won that weekend, or the right ones lost... Julie came over and baked the most wonderful cake ever, SO rich. It took me till last night to eat the last of it it was so potent. We had a great talk about my life, and just everything that has been getting me down and causing me stress.
Lately I can say that I feel, I don't know if it's true or not, but I feel, as if I'm finally growing up. I feel more comfortable in myself, I think my actions through a little more, not always, but more often. I'm more determined in what my goals are, more confidant that I'll reach them, and more solid in my ways. I feel as though my feet are finally on the ground. I know some of my friends will look at this and laugh and shake their heads, but I think they'll know it's true. For the most part. I can still act like I'm 13, and when it comes to matters of the heart, and things that threaten it, I do frequently.
Another sign I'm getting old is my memory is slipping. You think I'm joking but I'm not. I've sat through conversations this past week, or told people things, and I don't remember what happened. I don't know if I just need to focus more, or if life has gotten so stressful that I can't remember much anymore, but it's annoying. I used to have such a good memory!

1 comment:

alecia said...

I am glad that you had a good birthday! Although next year BYU had better win! :)