Monday, February 9, 2009

It's been a while...

If you didn't read the title of this entry, you may not have known it's been a while. Its been a while since I've written, since a lot of things. A friend of mine has coined the term monoblogue, in which you think of things you want to say in your blog but you do it during the course of the day. I find that I monoblogue quite often, almost every day in fact. I wish i were better at writing in this, as I started it in an effort to count this as a journal of sorts.
My sister and I are going through the Bountiful temple on Wednesday morning for the first time. For her, she's getting married on Saturday, but for me, this has been a much longer journey. For those who don't know me, I used to, shall we say, sow my wild oats back in the day. I always struggled in staying close to the mainstream of the LDS church even though I believed its doctrine. However, these past months, about a year now, I finally "got my act together" so to speak and decided that enough was enough, it was time to grow up and do the things that I knew I should. I've made that decision before, and had some false starts, but this time was somehow different. I think a great portion of the difference was this time I had an amazing support structure around me. I had some really great family and friends who have been with me through thick and thin. I have an amazing girlfriend, who even though we weren't dating at the beginning, has been a huge source of strength and a perfect example to me. I had a church ward that I finally felt like I belonged to, who went out of their way to include me in their lives and activities. The time was ripe... I'm tempted to shut myself in my room and lay in darkness to prevent anything from happening to mess it up!
This upcoming week is going to be crazy for me and my family. My parents and my youngest sister are flying in at 1pm Tuesday, then we'll be going to the Draper Temple open house. My girlfriend will be coming down for dinner and the "meet the parents" thingy will happen. Personally I'm not stressed about it, and I don't think any of the other parties involved are, but I plan on playing the oblivious man part. Then Wednesday is the big day for my sister and I, and my parents leave on Thursday morning for Las Vegas. Vegas is where Laura is getting married, on Valentine's day. Is that cliche'? My wonderful, amazing, beautiful girlfriend whom I love to embarrass will be driving down with me on Friday afternoon to Vegas. I'm actually looking forward to the 6 hour drive, I get to spend it with someone I love! She's really going out of her way to do this with me, she's got two tests, two rather large assignments, and her church calling to deal with before we leave on Friday. I can't tell her how much I appreciate that she's going. I can't wait to see my family (sans my brother and his family).
I suspect that we don't realize how much influence our parents have on us till after we move out and are on our own for a while. One thing that I have picked up from my Mom and Grandmom is that if I'm going to have company, my house has to be clean! My grandmom, when she lived overseas, would clean her house before the maid came so she wouldn't think that she was a bad housewife. I'm planning on giving my house a thorough cleaning tonight since I won't have time to do it before I go to work tomorrow. Thankfully I'm going to have some help. My friend Rachel wants to use my washer/dryer so we're going to trade services.
Also, my Army unit finally consented to letting me go to Warrant Officer School on the 25th. So finally they're going to stop fighting me on it and just let me go. Prayers have been answered! Warrant school is going to be very hard, I know there will be parts of it that I won't enjoy, and i sure won't enjoy being away from D, ( my girlfriend and yet another rip off from my monoblogue friend). I got really tired of saying "my girlfriend" and it kinda protects her privacy a bit. Random, I know. Anyway, I'm looking forward to this week, crazy as it will be between work, doing some prerequisite stuff for Warrant school, family and travel, but it's going to be so worth it.

3 comments:

eclaires said...

Jeff, I am THRILLED! I hope the first time temple trip will prove to be a wonderful experience. And don't worry about locking yourself in your bedroom before you go... just think about how you will figuratively lock yourself in the bedroom for the many years after you go. :) Satan knows what you're doing.

I love that you're "ripping off" terms and such from me. :) Flattered, I am.

So friend, are we ever going to meet D? :)

Have fun with the family and my only piece of advice for the temple? Know that you'll return again and again, but this is the only time it will be for you, so listen to the words and absorb the feeling. And then write in your journal. Not just blog, but private journal.

Much love to you friend!

nica said...

great blog, my friend! I know what you mean about the 6 hour drive. I love car trips with Kyle. They are always so fun. I'm so excited about so many events going on at once for you! I'm SO SO excited about your temple experience! I know what it means to you. Congrats! Hope all goes well!

Tara said...

I am so excited you are going to the temple!!! I think Im going to make it there in May.