Saturday, January 30, 2010

Guns!

I've noticed recently, and this isn't the first time, that when I'm walking around with my M4 aka Molly, that I feel a sense of power and invulnerability. Maybe it's slightly compounded with the whole Warrant Officer thing and nobody really knows what they're supposed to do with us, but it's kinda cool. I watch people walk by me and nervously stare at the rank on my chest or on my hat, tying to make out what exactly my rank is. The faint hint of recognition flashes across their eyes, but it's drowned out by what to do with their knowledge. I just have to chuckle a bit as I walk past people who look totally confused by me. And often it's when they're a half step past me does it finally hits them that they're supposed to salute me. I get a lot of salutes to my back mixed with cuss words of realization.

But back to the gun thing. It's going to suck going back to the States and not be able to carry Molly around with me. There's just something about such a visible sign of authority. It's a silent advertisement of "Yes, with this I can reach out and easily tag you from up to 300 meters". Not that I would ever do that unnecessarily, but just knowing in the back of my head that I can protect myself and my guys is a good feeling. It will be different going back home and being without that one thing I've carried around almost continuously since I left last July.

2 comments:

alecia said...

How you feel about guns is how I feel about all of my Victorian Era heros. If only I could have a Mr. Darcy, or Mr. Knightley or Mr. Thornton! Then I would be happy everyday! ;)

karon said...

Guns are good people. But its probably good that we don't all carrry them around with us all the time. Might take some of the mystic out of it all.