Monday, September 21, 2009

Kuwait Part II

I really need to think of a new title, I can't just keep calling them part III or IV...

I lay awake each night on my cot, listening to a rumble in the distance trying to figure out what it is. I know it’s not the sounds of the 40 other guys I’m sharing the tent with, some snoring, others silent. It’s either the flight line with its choppers taking off and landing constantly, but more likely it’s the hum of hundreds of diesel generators powering the camp. Why can’t I fall asleep? Because I sat around all day doing nothing, or is it because of the nap I took earlier that afternoon. Possibly because I can’t get my loved ones back home off my mind. Likely as each of those is, I get up and stumble outside, making my way toward the porta potties. Usually if I can’t fall asleep, it’s because I have to pee, and I don’t even realize it. I drink so much water here that I’m constantly going. I don’t think anyone here sleeps more than 3 or 4 hours at a time because we keep waking up to go. Not so much fun. And I won’t even describe the smell of it, mixed with the fumes of all the vehicles and generators spread throughout the base, plus the dust and natural stink of Kuwait. It’s amazing to me that I’ve been here a week, and I haven’t really done anything yet. Granted after spending more than two months in Texas doing next to nothing I shouldn’t be surprised.
The accommodations here are quite nice actually, in comparison to my last tour 6 years ago. I’m living in tent that is twice the size of the one I lived in last time, and have more space than before. It has solid doors which are irreplaceable when it comes to stopping dust and sand from getting in. My tent is less than 10 minutes walking distance from almost everything I could need. We have two chow halls, a huge gym (so I heard, the building is large at any rate!) and quite a bit of entertainment available. There’s an organization called the USO which is solely designed to take care of Service members while we’re away from home. They have a free phone center, computers with internet, TVs, video game systems, comfortable chairs and couches, it’s really nice. Probably my favorite thing in there is a system set up where parents can read books to their kids, and they’ll record it and send the recording and the book to the child for free. That kind of stuff just warms my heart. They have aerobics and other such classes offered throughout the day, we did a P90X class the other night and I’m still sore, but loving it. Of course all this is open almost 24 hours, but with the hundreds of Soldiers here, it gets crowded. And get this, we have a Burger King, a Pizza Hut knock off, a Baskin Robbins, and yes, a Starbucks, and it’s a hotspot for the wireless internet that you can buy access to. Wherever Soldiers go, there’s always someone there to take our money for us!
I feel a great deal more peace being here than I did previously. I’m not quite as stressed about my job as I used to be. I know the visits to my family in the South and again to Salt Lake really quelled my anxieties and let me know that everything will be ok. I was very stressed about how I was going to fit into the lives of the people who were important to me, and as I said before, some of them seemed to be pushing me away for various reasons and I didn’t like it one bit! But now I feel more comfortable with where things are between my friends and me. I hope they all go and do, and excel as much as possible. I hope I can only improve myself as well. Last time I left to be over here, I missed out on going on a mission for the church and I felt like I was really behind my peers in several categories, and that is still a fear for this trip, that I’ll fall even further behind. I know that only I can do anything about it, and that wills me to do and accomplish more than I have thus far.
It will help out a good bit once I get up into Iraq (probably going to move north late this week, early next) and can get into a good groove. I didn’t feel settled at all in Texas, and there’s no way I can do much towards doing things I would like while I’m here in Kuwait, I’m too transient. I’ll let you all know when I get up there and get settled, I’ll try to give some of you a call when I get there, just to let you know I’m safe. I’ll have daily internet access and a work laptop when I get up into Iraq, and I’ll also have access to a free phone line back to the states, so I’ll be able to email and call people more easily.
I’m doing much better. I’m as happy as I can be. The stupid wonderful little blue pills are doing their job, and mixed with a good dose of the gospel (still need to step that up a bit more) plus getting peace and resolution about my life back home, I’m doing fine. I love you all, and miss you more than I can say. I can’t wait to get back home and get into my normal life, but I know I’m going to be taken care of while I’m here. I’m grateful for all your prayers, the cookies I already received and know are on their way (hint hint), and your thoughts. I seriously could not have asked for a better group of friends, and I know I don’t do nearly enough to earn and deserve your respect and friendship. I’m in your debt.

No comments: