Monday, October 10, 2011

Gonna be a daddy

So I don't know if you noticed, but I did, and I'm doing terrible at blogging. This does not surprise me. Diana and I have been keeping a secret from a great many of you (I suppose that means 2 out of the 3 readers I have). Yep, we are pregnant. I guess it's really just her, but I'm right there with her, rubbing her feet and dishing out sympathy for her constant nausea. I never quite realized what a parasite a kid would be even before they escape the womb. I'm not too great on keeping track of numbers and dates, but I imagine that she's around 13 weeks along. We get the ultrasound to find out what we're having sometime in November and the baby is due around April 7th. I'm holding out for the 16th so it'll be born on my half birthday, but Diana doesn't seem too keen on this idea. I want a son but I'm convinced it'll be a girl, and Diana is convinced it's a boy but wants a daughter. My reasoning for wanting a boy is that I think I can make more mistakes raising a boy and not mess them up emotionally than I could with a girl. Personally I'm terrified about girls. I can deal with a boy if he's like me, but I don't want to have to deal with a daughter and worry about boys like me!  So In hopes of having a boy, here's a great blog that I found that offers great advice, and rules to live by for any guy. I go through it occasionally and find things I should do or remember. 


We didn't tell anyone, minus family and some very close friends till recently. We've decided to start expanding the circle of people who know, prompted by  the fact that Diana's Relief Society President announced the pregnancies of everyone in the ward in their meeting on Sunday, so everyone in church now knows. I couldn't understand Diana's initial hesitation to announce it to the world, but as my good friend Amy said "I just hate hearing everyone's pregnancy horror stories when you tell someone you are pregnant. And then they want to feel your stomach as if pregnancy makes that okay." And sure enough, we didn't make it to sacrament meeting without having several people come up to us and tell us their pregnancy horror stories. We've avoided any stomach touching for now. 


 On the other  hand, I've complied a  huge and surprising list of smells and sounds that will make Diana want to throw up! Her sudden revulsion to a myriad of food means that I get to buy lots of foods that I like that I normally wouldn't buy, like ALL the yogurt that I like but she doesn't. (My life is sad) It's quite liberating, as long as I keep her stocked up on cherry tomatoes and baby carrots. What this means for the future? IF everything works out the way I hope it does, I'll be getting a new full time job either in Utah or out, either one implies moving somewhere else, starting Grad school in January, dealing with a new born of some sort and a freshly un-pregnanted wife. Life is going to be busy. Good, but busy.

6 comments:

Amy @ Run Mom Run said...

Congratulations! I'm sorry she's already been bombarded by horror stories. It's a mean thing to do. I LOVE having boys! However, I know that whatever you have you'll be thrilled with. Babies are the best.

eclaires said...

Wahoo! I'm excited for you two!

Jillyn said...

Congrats! Don't worry you both will be great parents!!!

Anonymous said...

Ew...babies.

karon said...

Your 'branding' comments leave a lot to be desired: 'freshly un-pregnant wife', earlier - 'not brand new but like new wife' 'escape from the womb' - now that's a good one. You have more of Ken McGill in you than you realize. Poor Diana

Anonymous said...

Ha! You're having a girl. I think you'll do a great job with a girl, I can't wait to meet her.