Friday, July 17, 2009

Sitting around

If you recall one of my previous posts I made quite a few ambitious goals for myself. If I were to grade myself right now, I'd have to give myself a solid D minus. I have yet to work out, I haven't read nearly as much as I would like to, and the most Spanish I've learned is how to say I'm bored: Estoy aburrido. Actually I'm getting about a word a day texted to me for me to learn. It's not too bad. So all this means I have only have upwards to go! I'm starting to read at night more, and I find that it calms me after a long day.
Speaking of my days, can I just tell you that since I've been here I've not done a whole lot of work. I've mostly just sat in meetings that don't pertain to me or my section, been to medical appointments, and played around with the guys in the my section. We try to eat chow with at least one other member of our section, to get used to being around each other and grow closer. I like it, getting to know the guys better, and they like calling out other Soldiers we pass as we walk if they don't salute me because they know it annoys me. Granted it's the right thing to do, but I don't like standing next to them as they shout out "Hey, are you too good to salute MY Warrant Officer" loud enough for people in the surrounding areas to all take notice. I think I'm going to start taking the longer less traveled way around places. The powers that be traded one of my favorite Soldiers to another section in exchange of a higher ranking guy that nobody has ever seen. I think my guy will be better off where he's at now, but I was looking forward to having someone with a similar sense of humor and morals to hang out with.
I feel slightly guilty being here with nothing to do. The computer system that I'll be using is a live system, and what we change in there is changed in the real world, so we can't exactly train on the system very often. I end up sitting in my chair next to my bunk like I am now, playing on my laptop. At least I'm getting my money's worth for it! Most of my other Officer friends have things to do during the day, either courses they're taking or things that actually pertain to us leaving. You should see some of the looks that I get for sleeping till 7 when they all are up at 5, and I'm sitting in my chair when they get back at night! Hey, I'm sorry I don't have to be at work till 830 most days and a busy day at work is when I've got 2 hours worth of stuff to do, if I stretch it. Oh well, I guess it just gives me a better chance to start working on my goals and get into a routine. I just can't wait for the actual training to start happening. Still no mail....
WO1 McGill Jeff
HHC 96th STB
North Fort Hood, TX 76544

No comments: