Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Getting ready

I should be asleep, but I'm not. I have a long busy day tomorrow, it's my last full day in Utah for the foreseeable future. I have quite the day ahead, breakfast lunch and dinner with friends, hanging out, taking my truck up to Idaho and leaving it there, and I still have to pack some stuff on top of it all! I'm sure I'll get it all done sooner or later.
I just wanted to update everyone on what's going on with my trip overseas and my life in general. I moved out of my house on the 30th, the lease was up, and I'd only be here for another 7 days or so afterwords so there wasn't really any need to sign a new one. I'll just find another place when I get back. I do need to give a big thank you to everyone who helped me move out, both with actually packing things up or cleaning the house up for me. I was working for my Army unit getting everything ready to move to Texas and I just didn't have enough hours in the day to get it all done. So thank you once again, I only made it out because of you.
I broke all of my glass pots, pans, dishes, cups etc.. They were packed nicely and neatly, very carefully (you can tell I didn't pack them), and when I took them to my storage shed I made sure that even though they were up high, they wouldn't fall. Well I went to get another load of stuff, and sure enough, even though the box wouldn't fall when I tried to get it to, it fell when nothing was even touching it. I even managed to break some plastic bowls and containers. How awesome is that? And since I didn't feel like rearranging everything in my shed to accommodate my bed (would've been a tight squeeze anyway), I just left it at the local thrift store. So I'll be looking for a new set of dishes and a place to sleep when I get home. Maybe I'll move into a place that will let me have a large bed! It wasn't easy trying to figure out what to put away that I won't need till I get home, what to put away that someone might need to get for me, what I'll need until I leave, and what I'll need overseas.
I'm living in a hotel out by the airport right now. My unit rented about 85 rooms for 11 days from this place, so they gave me a room for free. It's not too bad, I have a really nice room.
Here's the update on my deployment. On Wed at some time yet to be announced my unit will fly to Texas, a place called Ft. Hood near a town called Killeen. It's hard to believe, but someone high up messed up a bit. The unit we're supposed to replace in Iraq isn't scheduled to leave for another month later than what they thought. It would make sense to just send them home a month early, but nope, that's not what is going to happen. Originally we were supposed to be in Texas training for going over there for a month and a half, but now we've got an extra month on our hands. We can't go to Iraq for that month because they don't have room for us there. We can't go to Kuwait for the same reason. From what I hear Texas doesn't have room for us either past the month and a half that they originally planned for. So we're going to be wandering around trying to find somewhere that will take us for a whole month. My section is trying to get into some training in Wisconsin for two weeks of that month, so we'll see what happens.
My section is going to be pretty busy. We're going to break into two teams, one of which I'll be running, and we're going to manage the equipment of all the units in about a third of Iraq. We'll track it, ensure that they don't have more than they're supposed to, and if they're short something, we'll try to get it for them. With the draw down of troops over there, we'll go from managing 5 larger units down to 2 by the time we leave next June. I have a bunch of young guys in my section, and I'm the only one who has been over there yet, so this promises to be interesting.

No comments: