Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Themes

I find myself thinking about my last deployment and comparing it to what I think this one will be like. Aside from actually having goals and desires to improve myself this time, I feel that it will be much the same. I still have the same worries and apprehensions I do about coming back and what life will be like when I get home, but that will all take care of itself eventually. One thing I did like that I did last time that I plan on doing again this time is I had a scriptural theme. Last time, at the beginning of the war in 2003 when I was over there I was pretty young, 20 yrs old, and gung ho about going over there. I knew that it would be a challenge for me in all aspects of life, but more importantly spiritually. My theme was Alma 46:12+13 which reads: And it came to pass that he rent his coat; and he took a piece thereof, and wrote upon it—In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children—and he fastened it upon the end of a pole. And he fastened on his head-plate, and his abreastplate, and his shields, and girded on his armor about his loins; and he took the pole, which had on the end thereof his rent coat, (and he called it the title of liberty) and he bowed himself to the earth, and he prayed mightily unto his God for the blessings of liberty to rest upon his brethren, so long as there should a band of Christians remain to possess the land—

The desert heat, the stress of the job and being away from my family and friends, everything that I knew and loved caused me to think about quite a bit and realize that I was quite blessed in all that I have. But I was struggling to keep my head above water so to speak. Trials and temptations were getting me down and I often felt more alone than I have ever felt before or even since. Some of my LDS friends over there adopted a scripture which I eventually did as well. It's the entire 122nd section of Doctrine and Covenants. It reads:
1 The ends of the earth shall inquire after thy name, and fools shall have thee in derision, and hell shall rage against thee;
2 While the pure in heart, and the wise, and the noble, and the virtuous, shall seek counsel, and authority, and blessings constantly from under thy hand.
3 And thy people shall never be turned against thee by the testimony of traitors.
4 And although their influence shall cast thee into trouble, and into bars and walls, thou shalt be had in honor; and but for a small moment and thy voice shall be more terrible in the midst of thine enemies than the fierce lion, because of thy righteousness; and thy God shall stand by thee forever and ever.
5 If thou art called to pass through tribulation; if thou art in perils among false brethren; if thou art in perils among robbers; if thou art in perils by land or by sea;
6 If thou art accused with all manner of false accusations; if thine enemies fall upon thee; if they tear thee from the society of thy father and mother and brethren and sisters; and if with a drawn sword thine enemies tear thee from the bosom of thy wife, and of thine offspring, and thine elder son, although but six years of age, shall cling to thy garments, and shall say, My father, my father, why can’t you stay with us? O, my father, what are the men going to do with you? and if then he shall be thrust from thee by the sword, and thou be dragged to prison, and thine enemies prowl around thee like wolves for the blood of the lamb;
7 And if thou shouldst be cast into the pit, or into the hands of murderers, and the sentence of death passed upon thee; if thou be cast into the deep; if the billowing surge conspire against thee; if fierce winds become thine enemy; if the heavens gather blackness, and all the elements combine to hedge up the way; and above all, if the very jaws of hell shall gape open the mouth wide after thee, know thou, my son, that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good.
8 The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
9 Therefore, hold on thy way, and the priesthood shall remain with thee; for their bounds are set, they cannot pass. Thy days are known, and thy years shall not be numbered less; therefore, fear not what man can do, for God shall be with you forever and ever.

So I'm asking for suggestions for scriptures that have gotten you through your rough times, ones that give you inspiration and hope. I know this will be a challenging time for me, but I'm looking forward to the chance I'm being given to grow as a person and to come to know and rely on my Savior even more than I do now.

3 comments:

alecia said...

Well the scriptures that have really helped me the most, are in D&C 6. Pretty much the whole chapter, but especially verses 14-16, 20-24, 33-37. Yeah, pretty much the whole chapter! :)

eclaires said...

Alma 36:3 And now, O my son Helaman, behold, thou art in thy youth, and therefore, I beseech of thee that thou wilt hear my words and learn of me; for I do know that whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day.

This scripture is the scripture that came to me during one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. In fact the whole chapter.

I hope you keep updating your blog while you're gone, as often as you're able. I love reading it and I love hearing your thoughts.

Good luck getting everything ready today. We're going to miss you. But somehow, the internet helps to make people not seem so far away.

Tara said...

Ok, so when you are posting a blog, at the top by the check spelling button there is one that looks like a mountain scene. Click that. Then you can browse your pictures and add them. Let me know if it works.